Sunday, May 25, 2014

The journey of bread


Bread, beautiful bread!  One of my very favourite things to make, and one of the most decadent treats in which I choose to indulge.  I gravitate to pretty loaves or fancy flavours, and I love to give bread as gifts.

Bread has historical roots in our ancestry - many cultures have traditional breads unique to their homes, many people have family bread recipes handed down.  There is a reason the phrase "breaking bread together" still resonates in our language;  it means food (especially bread) is a tie that binds people in harmony.  There is a reason you have read or heard stories where prisoners were given "only bread and water"; bread is an elemental staple, one of the simplest forms of nourishment that alone can sustain a body if necessary. 

I have collected many bread recipes over the years, not all of them tried and true.  I would like to start making and tasting all of them; record which ones were favourites, which were easy or pretty. 

Peasant Bread
My first bread experiment was this weekend, when I made Peasant Bread.  I found this recipe on a link through Pinterest - you can find the tutorial for it here

Grilled peasant cheese
This was a very simple recipe, just flour and yeast, really.  I can totally imagine that this would be what peasant bread was actually like.  I liked that it called for nearly no fuss - no kneading or special instructions; just mix, rise, and bake.  The recipe made two regular sized loaves, and my family hastily snarfed them up.  The taste was simple as well - spongy and plain, but perfect for grilled cheese or toast.  I would make this again for a nice accompaniment to soup or sandwiches.  This is not a gift loaf, but I would serve it to company at a casual supper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment